Analyze the readings and activities from the course so far and synthesize them into a well-organized and cohesive 4-6 page paper.
As a new doctoral learner, you will be asked to learn and apply many concepts that are new to you. To do this, you must be able to assess your own ability to admit, understand, acknowledge, and recognize your weaknesses, your strengths, what you know, what you do not know, and ways to fill these gaps. After doing this, you must be able to synthesize new information, incorporating it into your professional understanding and practice. In this assessment, you will analyze the readings and activities presented in this course and synthesize them into a well-organized and cohesive paper. You will articulate your understanding of the terms cognitive differentiation and cognitive integration. You will explore the relationship between organizational redesign and business model innovation. Finally, you will examine the concept of ontological humility and the effects of assumptions and biases on decision making.
In this assessment, you will analyze the readings and activities from this course and synthesize them into a well-organized and cohesive paper. Use the APA Paper Template [DOCX] to complete this assessment.
This assessment is made up of multiple parts and should be completed in multiple sittings. It is recommended that you complete the following things in the prescribed order. Your paper should contain the following sections.
Write a solid introduction which explains to the reader the different parts of the assessment. Your introduction should include a hook, background information, and an overarching thesis sentence.
In the Egfjord and Sund (2020) articles, discussions of business model innovation (BMI) occur along with the ideas of cognitive differentiation and cognitive integration. For the first section of your paper, describe your best definition of these two concepts. Note that the 2020 “Do You See” article includes these two concepts in its abstract, but the concept terminology does not appear in either article. Thus, you might need to do more research on the terminology and consider how each article describes what the authors mean by cognition to help provide a solid pair of definitions. Cite any other source you use. This section should be no more than three paragraphs but should also include a solid explanation of what cognition means, on its own, and as used by these authors.
3. Business Model Innovation
On page 7 of the “Do You See” version of their articles, the authors ask these questions:
* “…design changes seem to be the inevitable outcome of adding business models to the organization. If this is the case, should organizational redesign actually precede BMI?”
* “Is an organization already designed to accommodate a future BMI more likely to be successful at implementing radical BMI ideas emerging from an innovation department?”
* Did you feel that either or both of their articles provided you with a solid answer to either of these questions? If yes, answer one or both of the questions and provide support to your answer.
* If no, what other information might you want or need to know to answer the questions?
In your paper, respond to the following questions.
1. What assumptions do you feel you might need to make in order to answer the questions above? Would those be necessary, sufficient, or flawed assumptions? Explain your answer.
2. Should organizational redesign precede BMI?
3. Is an organization already designed to accommodate a future BMI more likely to be successful at implementing radical BMI ideas?
This section should be about 4–6 paragraphs. Organize it in a way that you feel best provides the information logically to your reader. Use headings.
4. Ontological Humility
Review the guidelines provided by Academic Writer (Learn > Tutorials > Writing > Publishing Your Journal Article > Ethical, Legal, and Policy Requirements), about publishing the same study in two different journals. In this case, the authors have done so. Provide your opinion, based on your interpretation of the APA guidelines, as to whether the APA would feel that these authors have appropriately followed these guidelines for multiple publications of the same data. How has this double-publication lent credence to the authors’ ontological humility? Would you have considered double-publishing in this same say? If yes, why? If no, why not? Your answer to this question should be about 1–2 pages.
In the Ontological Humility media, think back to your thoughts on the Dueling Managers scenario. In that assessment, you were asked to consider three assumptions and journal about your reactions to the scenario and assumptions. In this section of your paper, answer the following questions:
1. Did you feel that the way the scenario was structured was designed to create false assumptions? Or, do you feel that the falsity of the assumptions was simply a result of the facts and how they were presented? In other words, would the same assumptions have been accurate if different facts had existed? Why or why not?
2. Explicit bias is a bias that is an open and obvious prejudice. For example, a person who has allergic reactions to dogs may have a bias against going to people’s homes with dogs. In fact, that person may allow that bias to become implicit, where they consider homes where dogs live to be dirtier than non-dog homes, or may even decide not to be friends with dog owners so that they can avoid potential allergic reactions. Less obvious biases can be more difficult to recognize in oneself. Think about some ways that you could start to recognize your own explicit or implicit biases. You do not need to list the biases here. Instead, provide at least two ways that you could start to identify and reflect on those biases. In what way might doing so lead to better decision-making as a businessperson in the future?
Your answer to these questions should be at least 3–4 pages.
Use the following headings and sub-headings in your paper, following APA formatting guidelines:
* Ontological Humility Introduction
* Cognition Differentiation and Integration
* Business Model Innovation
* Assumptions Needed to Answer the BMI Questions
* Should Organizational Redesign Precede BMI?
* Implementing BMI
* Ontological Humility
* Double-Publishing APA
* Personal View on Double-Publishing
* False Assumptions
Second or Third Submission Attempts
The second and third submission attempts require the use of the Track Changes feature in MS Word to track revisions. Make any revisions to your assessment based on feedback from your instructor. You will find an overview of the resources on the DBA Submissions Requirements page. For additional information and resources, including how to use Track Changes, see the DBA Course Submissions resource in the DBA Skills Lab.
As you complete your assessment, be sure it meets the following guidelines:
* Written communication: Use error-free doctoral-level writing, with original (non-plagiarized) content, logical phrasing, and accurate word choices.
* Scholarship: Use at least six professionally reputable sources to support your main points and analysis. Be sure to include scholarly sources. Course readings may be included among the required sources. You should do research in the Capella library or by using Google Scholar (mapping it back to the Capella Library) on topics which did not have readings associated with them (such as bias or assumptions).
* APA formatting: Use APA style, solid grammar, format, and structure, and organize with logical flow and APA headings. Include a title page with your name on the front and page numbers on the pages. All resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
* Length: 4–6 (not more than 7) double-spaced pages, in addition to the cover page and reference page.
* Font and font size: Consistent, APA-compliant font, 12 point.
* Before submitting your assessment, you are required to use Recite to check that your in-text citations match the reference list at the end of your assessment. Recite also checks for stylistic errors related to referencing. Make any corrections to your assessment based on the Recite report.
* For this assessment, you are required to follow the Standard Naming Convention requirements for any files you upload. You will find the requirements in the DBA Submissions Requirements resources page. Be sure to use the naming convention in the link provided here. You can ignore the naming convention in the submission area.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment scoring guide criteria:
* Competency 1: Demonstrate written and technical communication practices geared toward professional interactions with others.
* Write an introduction that includes a hook, background, and thesis sentence.
* Convey purpose, in an appropriate tone and style, incorporating supporting evidence and adhering to organizational, professional, and scholarly writing standards.
* Integrate appropriate use of scholarly sources, evidence, and APA citation style.
* Competency 2: Appraise library resources to acquire information literacy skills, including finding published business- and research-based information.
* Define cognitive differentiation and cognitive integration including at least one outside reference.
* Competency 3: Analyze the components of a business problem.
* Analyze whether organizational redesign should precede Business Model Innovation using examples to support your analysis.
* Analyze whether an organization designed to accommodate Business Model Innovation is more likely to be successful at implementing BMI ideas using examples to support your analysis.
* Competency 4: Identify critical thinking models and practices, including the role of assumptions, in personal and business problem scenarios.
* Describe an assumption needed to answer the Business Model Innovation questions from the article including whether the assumption is necessary, sufficient, or flawed.
* Analyze the double-publishing problem aligned with APA guidelines.
* Explain why you would, or would not, consider double-publishing from the same research study.
* Analyze false assumptions from a scenario including how the scenario did or did not create false assumptions and the impact different facts may have had on those assumptions.
* Competency 6: Interpret levels of emotional intelligence, self awareness, and independence of thought through the use of reflective tools.
* Describe techniques supported by the literature to identify and reflect on personal explicit or implicit biases and tie identifying biases to better decision-making.
Munro, I. (2019, July 6). Ontology (my big word of the month) and humility. Leading Essentially. https://leadingessentially.com/2019/07/06/ontology-my-big-word-of-the-month-and-humility/
This blog introduces readers to the concept of ontological humility. The concept was penned by Fred Kofman in Conscious Business. Ontological humility is the first step to recognizing, admitting, and embracing the idea that there is more we do not know than what we know. The more we know the more we realize how little we know.
Murray, T. (2008). Exploring epistemic wisdom: Ethical and practical implications of integral theory and methodological pluralism for collaboration and knowledge-building [PDF]. Ethics & Methodological Pluralism, ITC 2008.
This thought piece describes how ontological humility is the first step to gaining epistemic wisdom. Please read through this with an open mind and realization that there might be sections which are confusing to you today, and that is ok. You will want to re-read this article throughout the program and consider how your understanding of the concepts have become clearer over time.
Note that this site only allows a limited number of downloads each day. You might find it helpful to save the article to another location to ensure you can access it when you want.
The following articles will be used in your assessment. They describe a modified Delphi study which explored perceptions of cognitive differentiation among three departments in a large insurance organization. The articles were published in different journals and provide different perspectives of the study.
Egfjord, K. F.-H., & Sund, K. J. (2020). Do you see what I see? How differing perceptions of the environment can hinder radical business model innovation. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 150, 1-10.
Egfjord, K. F.-H., & Sund, K. J. (2020). A modified Delphi method to elicit and compare perceptions of industry trends. MethodsX, 7, 1-10.
The following resources discuss ethical considerations that may be helpful when considering ontological humility and ontological arrogance.
Capella University Policy 4.02.02: Learner Code of Conduct [PDF].
Capella University Policy 3.01.10 Advanced Doctoral Learners [PDF].
Indeed. (2021). Professional code of ethics: Definition and examples. https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/professional-code-of-ethics
Indeed. (2021). Ultimate guide to professionalism. https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/the-ultimate-guide-to-professionalism
Academy of Management. (n.d.). AOM code of ethics. https://aom.org/about-aom/governance/ethics/code-of-ethics
Go to the Writing Center and read the information on the POETS framework. Feel free to explore other resources available there. You will use the Writing Center throughout your doctoral program. Use the Wayfinding Guide to the Writing Center to locate resources that will help support your writing goals.
View the Capella Assignment Guide to learn about how Capella assessments are structured and tips for success.
You will be using the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (commonly referred to as the APA manual) style in your papers and citations for this course. Use Academic Writer and the Capella Writing Center to help you with APA.
In Academic Writer, read the following to prepare for writing your first assessment.
View the tutorial, “Getting Started With Academic Writer.”
Under Quick Guides/Manuscriipt Sections, review the different types of articles under “Types of Journal Articles.”
Under Tutorials/Writing, view “Ethical Standards in Research and Writing.”
Download the APA Paper Template [DOCX] to help with formatting your paper.
SkillsYouNeed. (n.d.). Time management skills. https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/time-management.html
If you need my logon to get to the reading material please let me know and I will send info.
Analyze the readings and activities from the course so far and synthesize them i
Analyze the readings and activities from the course so far and synthesize them into a well-organized and cohesive 4-6 page paper.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Top Quality Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university, or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Our support agents are available 24/7 and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
100% Plagiarism Free
Plagiarism is the biggest crime in the academic world. We have strict measures to ensure that all the essay papers are written from scratch to maintain originality and avoid plagiarism.
We have hired a team of professional writers who provide expert essay help. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders who are able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
Exceptional quality, professional writers, secure and private, always on time. This is how our clients described their experience working with us. We value our clients above all and strive to uphold the high standards that we have set.
Quality is everything. We make sure that each completed paper that we send is an absolute masterpiece. It is well-written, thoroughly thought out, follows guidelines, has impeccable format and completely original. You can be confident that your paper is one-of-a-kind because we double-check it for plagiarism. Your instructor will be impressed when you turn in your paper.
Wileyscholars.com has special quality assurance team guarantees that all the papers are plagiarism-free and meet the standards or specific requirements of certain academic institutions (these may vary, you know, and they may vary even between different teachers). Upon placing an order, you can communicate with your writer during the entire process and even after it is completed. This ensures a customized service, meeting the exact needs and expectations of any, even the most demanding customers.
PROVIDING STUDENTS WITH CUSTOM ACADEMIC PAPERS SINCE 2007