Please show calculations/equations used to solve.
Problem 5-22: Arnot International’s bonds have a current market price of $1,200. The bonds have an 11% annual coupon payment, a $1,000 face value, and 10 years left until maturity. The bonds may be called in 5 years at 109% of face value (call price 5 $1,090).
a. What is the yield to maturity?
b. What is the yield to call if they are called in 5 years?
c. Which yield might investors expect to earn on these bonds, and why?
d. The bond’s indenture indicates that the call provision gives the firm the right to call them at the end of each year beginning in Year 5. In Year 5, they may be called at 109% of face value, but in each of the next 4 years the call percentage will decline by 1 percentage point. Thus, in Year 6 they may be called at 108% of face value, in Year 7 they may be called at 107% of face value, and so on. If the yield curve is horizontal and interest rates remain at their current level, when is the latest that investors might expect the firm to call the bonds?
Problem 7-17: What is the required rate of return on a preferred stock with a $50 par value, a stated annual dividend of 7% of par, and a current market price of (a) $30, (b) $40, (c) $50, and (d) $70? (Assume the market is in equilibrium with the required return equal to the expected return.)
Mini Case Study
During the last few years, Jana Industries has been too constrained by the high cost of capital to make many capital investments. Recently, though, capital costs have been declining, and the company has decided to look seriously at a major expansion program proposed by the marketing department. Assume that you are an assistant to Leigh Jones, the financial vice president. Your first task is to estimate Jana’s cost of capital. Jones has provided you with the following data, which she believes may be relevant to your task:
* The firm’s tax rate is 25%.
* The current price of Jana’s 12% coupon, semiannual payment, noncallable bonds with 15 years remaining to maturity is $1,153.72. There are 70,000 bonds. Jana does not use short-term interest-bearing debt on a permanent basis. New bonds would be privately placed with no flotation cost.
* The current price of the firm’s 10%, $100 par value, quarterly dividend, perpetual preferred stock is $116.95. There are 200,000 outstanding shares. Jana would incur flotation costs equal to 5% of the proceeds on a new issue.
* Jana’s common stock is currently selling at $50 per share. There are 3 million outstanding common shares. Its last dividend (D0) was $3.12, and dividends are expected to grow at a constant rate of 5.8% in the foreseeable future. Jana’s beta is 1.2, the yield on T-bonds is 5.6%, and the market risk premium is estimated to be 6%. For the own-bond-yield-plus-judgmental-risk-premium approach, the firm uses a 3.2% risk premium.
a. (1) What sources of capital should be included when you estimate Jana’s weighted average cost of capital?
(2) Should the component costs be figured on a before-tax or an after-tax basis?
(3) Should the costs be historical (embedded) costs or new (marginal) costs?
b. What is the market interest rate on Jana’s debt, and what is the component cost of this debt for WACC purposes?
d. (1) What are the two primary ways companies raise common equity?
(2) Why is there a cost associated with reinvested earnings?
(3) Jana doesn’t plan to issue new shares of common stock. Using the CAPM approach, what is Jana’s estimated cost of equity?
f. What is the cost of equity based on the own-bond-yield-plus-judgmental-risk-premium method?
m. Jana is interested in establishing a new division that will focus primarily on developing new Internet-based projects. In trying to determine the cost of capital for this new division, you discover that specialized firms involved in similar projects have, on average, the following characteristics: Their capital structure is 10% debt and 90% common equity; their cost of debt is typically 12%; and they have a beta of 1.7. Given this information, what would your estimate be for the new division’s cost of capital?
n. What are three types of project risk? How can each type of risk be considered when thinking about the new division’s cost of capital?
Please show calculations/equations used to solve. Problem 5-22: Arnot Internati
Please show calculations/equations used to solve.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Top Quality Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university, or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Our support agents are available 24/7 and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
100% Plagiarism Free
Plagiarism is the biggest crime in the academic world. We have strict measures to ensure that all the essay papers are written from scratch to maintain originality and avoid plagiarism.
We have hired a team of professional writers who provide expert essay help. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders who are able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
Exceptional quality, professional writers, secure and private, always on time. This is how our clients described their experience working with us. We value our clients above all and strive to uphold the high standards that we have set.
Quality is everything. We make sure that each completed paper that we send is an absolute masterpiece. It is well-written, thoroughly thought out, follows guidelines, has impeccable format and completely original. You can be confident that your paper is one-of-a-kind because we double-check it for plagiarism. Your instructor will be impressed when you turn in your paper.
Wileyscholars.com has special quality assurance team guarantees that all the papers are plagiarism-free and meet the standards or specific requirements of certain academic institutions (these may vary, you know, and they may vary even between different teachers). Upon placing an order, you can communicate with your writer during the entire process and even after it is completed. This ensures a customized service, meeting the exact needs and expectations of any, even the most demanding customers.
PROVIDING STUDENTS WITH CUSTOM ACADEMIC PAPERS SINCE 2007