The Case for Reparations – Ta Nehisi Coates
Answer the questions using the article, The Case for Reparations. • Do not use outside sources. Using any outside sources will result in a zero grade.
• All answers must be completely in your own words (that is, paraphrased). Copying directly from or too closely to the original text – even just one answers – will result in a zero grade for the entire assignment. • Be sure to use complete sentences.
• If you want to use colored font, that’s fine. Darker blues/purples/greens work well. Do not use red/pink/orange fonts or highlighting.
Article Section I
1. What two methods were used to keep African Americans from voting in 1920s Mississippi? (You can just list the two, you don’t need a complete sentence here).
2. What is “debt peonage”? Why did so many African American farmers live in it, and why didn’t they protest the conditions?
3. What were the reasons for the Great Migration?
4. Why did Clyde Ross and his wife choose to buy a house in North Lawndale, IL?
5. What is a “contract” sale/”contract” mortgage? How did the system work?
6. How were African Americans kept out of the legitimate home mortgage market?
7. In 1934, Congress created the FHA (Federal Housing Administration), which insured private mortgages. Yet, African Americans could not get them – why not? Include a discussion of redlining in your answer (what it is, how it worked, etc.)
8. In 1968, the Contract Buyer’s League was formed. Why? What were their purposes/goals?
9. What was the “fate” of North Lawndale, IL, an early experiment in integration? That is, what is North Lawndale like today?
10. How was the concept of reparations viewed in the 1700s? Give specific examples.
11. How were the early slaves treated in Virginia? How weretheir situations both similar and different to those of poor whites in the 1600s-1700s?
12. How did American law “work to reduce black people to a class of untouchables?”
13. Why were slaves so important to the economy in the US (both north and south)?
14. What is the connection between the New Deal and Jim Crow Laws? Were African Americans able to make use of such programs as Social Security and the GI Bill?
15. How did the Federal Government and the American real estate industry work to encourage and maintain racial housing segregation?
16. How did Chicago become one of the most segregated cities in the US? (provide specific examples of techniques, laws, court cases, and citizen actions)
17. Describe the process of “block busting” and what the effects were.
18. What did Lyndon Johnson mean by the statement that,“Negro poverty is not white poverty” (1965)?
19. What does the author mean, specifically, by the term “reparations”? (Hint: he is not talking about money)
20. After WWII, Germany was required to make reparations to Jews in the form of payments to Israel. What did“ordinary” Germans think about reparations? Did Israeli Jews want to accept reparations (why/why not)?
21. Has the practice of race-based predatory mortgage lending ended, or does it still occur? Back your answer up with info from the article.
22. Do you think, based on the history of enslavement,racism, economic exploitation, enforced segregation, and predatory mortgage lending that the idea of reparations (as outlined by the article’s author) in the US should be studied, as proposed by John Conyer’s HR 40? Explain why or why not.
The Case for Reparations – Ta Nehisi Coates Answer the questions using the artic
The Case for Reparations – Ta Nehisi Coates
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Top Quality Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university, or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Our support agents are available 24/7 and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
100% Plagiarism Free
Plagiarism is the biggest crime in the academic world. We have strict measures to ensure that all the essay papers are written from scratch to maintain originality and avoid plagiarism.
We have hired a team of professional writers who provide expert essay help. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders who are able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
Exceptional quality, professional writers, secure and private, always on time. This is how our clients described their experience working with us. We value our clients above all and strive to uphold the high standards that we have set.
Quality is everything. We make sure that each completed paper that we send is an absolute masterpiece. It is well-written, thoroughly thought out, follows guidelines, has impeccable format and completely original. You can be confident that your paper is one-of-a-kind because we double-check it for plagiarism. Your instructor will be impressed when you turn in your paper.
Wileyscholars.com has special quality assurance team guarantees that all the papers are plagiarism-free and meet the standards or specific requirements of certain academic institutions (these may vary, you know, and they may vary even between different teachers). Upon placing an order, you can communicate with your writer during the entire process and even after it is completed. This ensures a customized service, meeting the exact needs and expectations of any, even the most demanding customers.
PROVIDING STUDENTS WITH CUSTOM ACADEMIC PAPERS SINCE 2007